By Kristin Shaw
The first generation XT4 debuted in 2018, launching this crossover vehicle for the 2019 model year. By way of comparison, it’s the luxury equivalent to the Chevrolet Equinox or GMC Terrain. With a five-passenger capacity, this four-door company SUV is chock-full of convenience and tech features that will make you stop and take a second look.
Yep, this is a Cadillac.
After taking the new XT6 for a spin last week and meeting some of Cadillac’s engineers, it’s clear that the brand is breaking out of the mold of what Cadillac might have looked like to our parents. The brand’s team from top to bottom is working like WHOA to ensure their vehicle is competitive in the market.
The sporty little XT4 is the baby bear of the XT SUV family, with the XT5 as the mama bear and the XT6 the three-row papa. I’m not sure what that makes the Escalade, though… maybe that’s Uncle Andre the Giant. In any case, the XT4 is fun to drive. While the Cadillac XT4 may be new and cheeky, it retains one important thing: the luxury feel.
Quick facts: There is plenty of cargo room in this SUV for a young professional or empty nester, with 22.3 cu.ft with the back seat up and 48.9 cu.ft with the seats folded down. The FWD gets an estimated 24 mpg/city 30 mpg/hwy, and the AWD 22 city/29 hwy.
DRIVE AND HANDLING
Under the hood, each of the XT4 trim packages are powered by the buttery-smooth turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 237 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission. Front wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is optional with all packages. And don’t forget the Electronic Precision Shift and sporty paddle shifters to rev it up.
Cylinder deactivation, which shuts down several of the cylinders when the SUV is cruising on the highway, increasing fuel economy (standard on all trims). Also available is Active Sport Suspension Technology, which adjusts the damping for each wheel constantly, ensuring a more precise and comfortable drive.
Selectable drive modes:
- FWD modes: tour, snow/ice, sport
- AWD modes: tour, AWD, sport
Standard on the XT4:
- Eight standard airbags and rollover sensing
- StabiliTrak: stability control with traction control
- Lane change alert with side blind zone alert
- Rear cross traffic alert
- Teen Driver: customizable driving settings using the key fob, encourages safe driving behavior.
- Available automatic braking system: in potential collision situations, it applies the brakes if the driver has not already done so.
- Also available is OnStar automatic airbag notification for peace of mind
Keep your eyes on the road with this feature, done well by the brand. The head-up display projects vehicle information low in the driver’s field of vision onto the windshield. You can customize your display in full-color with speed view, current radio station, incoming calls, navigation, and transmission position.
- Heated rear seats
- SirusXM AM/FM/HD/Satellite radio
- Heated mirrors
- Parking assist
- Available Rainsense automatic windshield wipers (Fun tip: In 1996, the Cadillac STS, Eldorado, and DeVille included this system, which is the first of its kind that could see rain and activate the wipers without driver input.)
- 39.5 inches of best-in-class rear-seat leg room
- 6 available interior design options
- Premium Luxury
All trims are equipped with front-wheel drive or available all-wheel drive. The Luxury trim comes standard with tons of exciting features to start; upgrade to the Sport or Premium Luxury to enjoy such options as leather seat trim, Rainsense automatic windshield wipers, and Body-color heated, driver-side auto-dimming power-folding outside mirrors, and more.
The starting price on an all-new 2019 Cadillac XT4 is $34,795 MSRP for the Luxury trim, and ranges up to $41,795 MSRP for the Premium Luxury trim.
- Radiant Silver Metallic
- Atlantic Metallic
- Twilight Blue Metallic
- Stellar Black Metallic
- Shadow Metallic
- Autumn Metallic
- Crystal White Tricoat
- Red Horizon
Light Platinum/Jet Black, leatherette seating surfaces
FEATURES WE LOVE
- Taking a trip? The available Rear Camera Mirror allows you to use either the typical inside mirror or a rearview camera mirror display. Whether your car is loaded up with kids or luggage, the Rear Camera Mirror provides a wider, unobstructed view.
- Safety features, including available HD rear and surround vision cameras
- Luxe massage, heated, and ventilated front seats
- Connectivity: comes standard with universal home remote, and available powered tablet holder and wireless charging.
- WiFi: connect up to 7 devices with available built-in Cadillac 4G LTE
- No-problem parking: front and rear park assist system
- High-fidelity audio: Bose Centerpoint surround sound audio system with 13 speakers
OPTIONS A LA CARTE
- Power sunroof with tilt, slide and express-open/close features
- Sport grill in high-gloss black mesh
- Illuminated door handles
- In-vehicle air ionizer
- Hands-free power lift gate
ARE YOU IN THE MARKET FOR A CADILLAC?
IF THIS VEHICLE WERE A SONG, IT WOULD BE
“Are you Gonna Be My Girl” by Jet, for two reasons: one, the “four, five, six c’mon and get your kicks” line seems to me to be a direct reference to the XT4, XT5, and brand-new XT6 in the Cadillac lineup. I mean, maybe that’s just me, but I’m going with it.
And really, don’t these SUVs look so fine that you really want to make them yours?
I say you look so fine
That I really wanna make you mine
Oh, four, five, six c’mon and get your kicks
Now you don’t need that money
When you look like that, do ya honey
Thanks to Heels and Wheels for inviting us to their bi-annual event, where we had a chance to drive this fun vehicle.